Purpose: To provide consultant services for children who are deaf or hard of hearing in school divisions and state operated programs in Virginia. VNOC is designed to promote and enhance educational services for the child or provide needed training for personnel.
VNOC professionals have expertise in one or more of the following areas as they relate to children who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Instructional strategies;
- Sign language proficiency and interpreting;
- Communication methodologies (American Sign Language, Signed English, Contact Variety Sign language, Cued Speech, Listening and Spoken Language);
- Amplification needs;
- Assistive technology;
- Meeting the needs of students with cochlear implants; and
- Assessment (Educational, Psychological, Communication, Speech/Language,